Sunday, January 13, 2008

Friends with unusual talents...


In keeping with the title of this blog, I intend to feature some friends of mine who are wonderful entertainers in their own right. This may include bands, magicians, comedians, jugglers; God for bid maybe even a mime. I love to meet people who have a really different act. How many piano-hacks who play show tunes do we really need?

This weekend, I drove down to Philly with my buddy Scott to see....a sideshow. Traditionally, these type of shows were secondary in the circus world. A smaller tent would feature fire eaters, sword swallowers and the like. For the wonderful troupe I saw Saturday night the sideshow IS the show. No second bananas here. This group features Johnny Neutrino, Martin Ling The Suicide King, Sideshow Danny Borneo, and the lovely Miss Reggie Bugmuncher, (guess what her talent is). I've known people for many years that do small bits of sideshow in their act, but this was the first time for me where it was the main attraction. We got to see everything from Martin Ling swallowing swords and sticking his tongue on the spinning metal blades of a fan, to Miss Reggie snack on nightcrawlers and a live goldfish. Then there's my buddy Danny who couldn't find a light for his smoke, so he sticks his face into a shower of white hot sparks coming off an angle grinder. Of course, our guide through this world was Johnny Neutrino; the talker, (not barker) of the group. Before the show, we watched as Danny and Martin ate fire and Johnny attempted to lure people into the bar to see the show. I'll be damned, it worked.

I guess I have to be responsible and tell you that they are highly trained professionals and you shouldn't try any of this stuff at home. (Who the hell is dumb enough to do that?) I urge you to check out their website on my list of links, and if you're ever in the Philadelphia area go see them, you might want to skip lunch though.

And speaking of lunch, this show took place at my new favorite restaurant in Philadelphia, National Mechanics. I really don't know how to describe the decor of the place, but it was...unusual. The food was great and the bar/waitstaff were fun too. When in the City of Brotherly Love, stop in at 22 S. Third St. It's walking distance from Independence Hall. Tell'em Pepka sent you, they'll say...who?

2 comments:

scott said...

Great review of the Olde City Side Show! These were not only some of the most entertaining folks, but the nicest.

If anyone is in the Philly area, they owe it to themselves to visit Danny and the gang downtown. Grab a bite to eat (those squeemish might like to eat BEFORE Danny pounds the nail into his face or Reggie swallows the nightcrawlers).

Thanks Pekpa for the review!

Anonymous said...

I wish we got these shows in England! Nice report dude!