Monday, September 22, 2008

The pretzel king of Philadelphia...



So this weekend, I made the trek to Philadelphia. (Norristown actually, a beautiful suburb of Philly.) To spend a few hours performing for an old friend of mine from high school. Sean Cannon called me a year ago to announce he was in the soft pretzel business and ask would I perform for his store's grand opening. Sean's a great guy, I've known him since we were about 11 years old. Back then our friendship revolved around which girls in our class were developing and who was tougher, Hulk Hogan or Big John Studd. This weekend was the 1 year anniversary of his pretzel business and I'm glad to report that he's doing very well for himself. The only thing I don't like about him is he really hasn't changed in the last 16 years. Seriously, not one bit. He seems to have that Dick Clark syndrome. (Must be something in that Philly water. Or maybe the pretzels.) And to cap it all off, we saw a DeLorean drive right by. Sweet!

Actually that day, I was double booked. I had been invited to perform at a wonderful dinner party by some friends Bob and Carol Smith. Invitations to this party were auctioned off for charity. And it worked out very well for me because it was sort of on the way home from Philadelphia. When Bob asked me to come and perform, he actually referred to it as a "dinner party on their deck." This really could not be further from the truth. Their home is one of 3 on the estate, the other 2 belonging to family members. The party was actually held in a pool-side huge pavilion in the middle of the 3 homes. Complete with 3 TVs, restaurant style kitchen, and a bar better than most restaurants, this place was like Shangri-La in the middle of farm country. I did my usually strolling magic schmoozing for about an hour and a half before dinner. After dessert, I did a brief demonstration of some of my favorite pieces I've been doing for years including Remember and Forget, and the Cups and Balls.


A very busy day, and a sore throat when I woke up meant most of Sunday was spent in bed. But, I did have to drag myself out to attend a meeting regarding a new venue for me. I'll be posting it here as soon as the details are ironed out.

No comments: